SailNet Community banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
138 Posts
I substantially prefer gauges, but retrofitting can be more than a simple swap. I believe senders can also need replacing in many circumstances, not to mention real estate for a bigger panel.

Reading the OP's post made me recall a bilge alarm going off while I'm in the middle of the entrance to Block Island's Great Salt Pond. Its a man made cut in the beach that is very narrow and long and it is commonly like a two way city street, with a dozen boats at a time. And here I'm listening to a sounding alarm and wondering if I'm going to take up residence at the bottom of the channel and shut the whole harbor down. !!!!! :oops:

My wife runs below and pulls up the floor boards and doesn't see any water anywhere. The alarm is still going off. Not convinced, she keeps looking. We get inside and drop the hook, hearts pounding. I find it was not the high water float switch, rather the electronic switch that is to detect when the bilge pump runs too long. IOW, it may be keeping up and water is not high, but you should know there is a constant ingress. Something was screwy in it's electronic brain, so I simply disconnected it. Heart rate came down about an hour later.............
Yes you probably do have to replace the sending units. I did do all that but it was because the original Yannar panel was completely broken. It was a little costly and I also had to rewire the whole mess. I made an aluminum panel using an old sign that I found. They are made of the best grade of aluminium. After fabricating the panel I painted it with the stuff they treat pickup beds with. That has stood up very well and looks good too. The tachometer was maybe the trickiest part ro get calibrated correctly. You could use the alarm buzzer for a high bilge water audible alarm. I used one of the old indication lights to come on any time the electrical bilge pump is running.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.