SailNet Community banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1983 Irwin Citation 31 ft. Yanmar 2GM.
I was trying to clean the water separator and I dropped it ... in 40 ft of water.
Where can I get a similar product for a reasonable price?
I saw online a Volvo Penta for $239. I am hoping to get something cheaper.

Thanks a lot

·
Registered
5,067 Posts
Yanmar engines are found on many tractors .... simply go online and do websearch: "tractor+parts+Yanmar".
Such a replacement engine mounted filter for your engine (not a filter-separator) should have a µM removal 'rating' of 15-17µM.

However, if what you lost overboard is the small 'filter' thats mounted ON the engine it will be a very poor 'water separator' as its not located in bottom-most portion of the fuel delivery tubing where water will accumulate. A Water separator NEEDS to be placed in the VERY LOWEST portion of the fuel delivery piping.

If you NEED a water separator due to your history of operation, then I suggest simply to put an EMPTY filter housing with an integral bottom/'bowl' drain cockk valve in the lowest level of the fuel delivery system. Using an empty filter housing (with drain cockk) to trap water is known as a "knock-out pot".

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I will probably go with a Racor with a see-through bottom.
A couple of issues have been touched here:
- water separator in lowest point of fuel supply. Mine was in the highest point, and still had 400 cc of water in. I purchased the boat 3 months ago and did not check it prior thoroughly.
- a diver is not an option since the bottom has 3-4 ft of silt ...

I ordered today the filter 301050 from Defender (best price around).

One more question: my engine stopped - that's how I realized I had too much water in the separator. Should I just install the new separator and start the engine, or do I need to "bleed" it ? Obviously, diesel engines are not my strength.

Thanks again

·
Registered
5,067 Posts
Id recommend that you get the water out of the tank, fuel lines (especially the lowest part of the fuel lines) and any other filter in the 'set' before you restart ..... hitting a HOT injector(s) with a 'slug' of water can 'shatter' the tips of the injectors. Water - drain it, and then BLOW all the system 'tubing' out.
With most Yanmars you dont have to bleed the whole system to restart ..... just bleed 'all' from the tank, the filters, the engine 'guard' filter .... everything up to but not necessarily including the high pressure fuel injection pump nor the injectors. 99% of the time this will air bleed a Yanmar as the injection pump and the injectors can handle 'slugs' of air.
Be sure to 'lubricate' the filter gaskets with fuel oil when reinstalling; dont overtighten the flare fittings or (god-awful) 'compression' fittings as they are easily 'cracked' by gorillas with wrenches.

;-)

·
Over Hill Sailing Club
3,688 Posts
If you can get to the fuel tube that screws into the top of your tank and unscrew/remove it, then you can effectively siphon (or outboard hose squeegee any water/fungus,and misc, fot out of the tank.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts