SailNet Community banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi
My 2009 Beneteau 40 has Yanmar 4JH4AE 54 HP engine. A blower blows air into engine compartment. Blower has broken but VERY difficult to get at and replace.
No temp gauge, to see if overheating but all sounds great.
What is blower there for? Can I leave it be?
Thanks, JohnB40

·
Registered
18 Posts
I had my 2008 B40 4 years and didn't realize the fan wasn't working. Replaced the fuse (located in the aft berth battery area) and now I have the noisy fan. I'm not sure the fan has anything to do with cooling. I was under the impression it was to clear fumes. Maybe others know for sure.

I agree it would be nice to have a real temp and oil pressure gauges. They are on my list. .

·
Registered
5 Posts
I don't think the fan is required by Yanmar on any of their consumer engines. I have that Yanmar on a Catalina 42 with no fan . However I do have temp and oil pressure both of which I consider mandatory on any engine and thankfully they are
not terribly expensive or difficult to install.

Those are great engines just take proper care and change the oil as prescribed

·
Administrator
7,945 Posts
My blower fuse was with the starting key, instruments bundle. So check there.

Mine never worked for the first two years... And when I got it working I blew many fewer solenoids... So maybe a cooler engine compartment is better.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I have a Beneteau 361 and had wondered the same thing so I asked about the purpose at a Diesel engine course a few weeks ago. For what it's worth, I was told the blower is to improve the air quality in the engine compartment. I guess it makes some sense since that is the air the engine uses.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks to all
I will replace ... quite a job.
Concensus seems that the engine will get less air (weight) if that air is hot in engine compartment. Also other equipment in engine compartment, even the alternator, is not helped by having hotter air in engine compartment.
JohnB40

·
Administrator
7,945 Posts
Thanks to all
I will replace ... quite a job.

JohnB40
Check if its stuffed first.

Mine was just a dirty connection in the fuse holder.

Get in the aft lazarette and disconnect the blower and check theres power to it... If not the that will be the problem.

·
Registered
2,536 Posts
I think I am going to call BS on this. Without a blower, how is the "air quality" any different? Is there just not enough air getting into the engine compartment? Is it starving for air?

Do you really think an engine compartment blower will affect the temperature of a water cooled engine? It purposefully sets its own temperature. If you try to cool it more, its thermostat will cool it.

Our 47.7 has no blower. The only other boat I have ever heard of having a blower motor on a diesel was a sea ray 460 but I suspect that has more to do with venting the engine compartment when one might be working down there.

I have a Beneteau 361 and had wondered the same thing so I asked about the purpose at a Diesel engine course a few weeks ago. For what it's worth, I was told the blower is to improve the air quality in the engine compartment. I guess it makes some sense since that is the air the engine uses.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have intake and exhaust blowers. The air quality is different, because it's over a couple of dozen degrees cooler. I did not want my motor sucking in very hot air. My main reason for the blowers is too cool the alternators. But that's me.I guess air quality definitions can vary.

·
Puget Sound Pounder
665 Posts
Somewhat old thread but I wanted to show my analog temp/pressure gauges that I had installed six months ago. I really disliked the brain dead indicators on the panel so I coughed up $375 parts/labor for them, including sending units. One of the best investments I have made for the boat. There is something about analog gauges that makes me feel warm and fuzzy. And yes, I am an old fart.

·
Old as Dirt!
3,489 Posts
Hi
My 2009 Beneteau 40 has Yanmar 4JH4AE 54 HP engine. A blower blows air into engine compartment. Blower has broken but VERY difficult to get at and replace.
No temp gauge, to see if overheating but all sounds great.
What is blower there for? Can I leave it be?
Thanks, JohnB40
While this is an "old thread" the subject comes up from time to time so it's worth repeating that, on Beneteau's the "blower" is connected to tubing that runs to the top of the engine compartment and actually "sucks" hot air out of the engine compartment and discharges it over the side. Two "static" vents are connected by tubing that rest at/near the bottom of the compartment and admit (relatively) cooler air to the compartment. With the cooler air, the engine runs more efficiently, remains cooler, and the heat from the engine compartment isn't radiated into the accommodation. It does make a difference.

Often times, a couple of sharp "raps" on the fan motor are all it takes to get the thing moving again. Rather than replace the entire blower, often you can pull the motor, remove the end cover, blow it out, replace the brushes, lube the bearings with a a couple of good squirts of SailKote and find yourself back in business for the price of a little effort only. If you're not up to it, any electrical shop can usually do the fix for less than half the cost of a new blower.

FWIW...

Reactions: Faster

·
Puget Sound Pounder
665 Posts
Doh! yes, not sure where my brain was. I should never post at 3am when I can't sleep. I have a similar blower for my 4JH5E. I did loose the relay once for it, cheap Chinese model. I am thinking about bypassing the relay with a manual switch.

It is about cooling the intake charge, not the engine operating temperature.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Kellysails, I like your guage set up. Would you be willing to post your parts list. I'm particularly interested in which which sender units you used. Thanks.

·
Registered
84 Posts
I think I am going to call BS on this. Without a blower, how is the "air quality" any different? Is there just not enough air getting into the engine compartment? Is it starving for air?
I have to agree with this, I have a blower in my engine room which I sometime turn on if I remember. On or off it has not effect on the engine temperature

The only reason I turn it on is to dissipate the hot air in the engine room which heats up the boat and which is right next to the aft cabin where I sleep

·
19,488 Posts

Do you really think an engine compartment blower will affect the temperature of a water cooled engine? It purposefully sets its own temperature. If you try to cool it more, its thermostat will cool it.

Our 47.7 has no blower. The only other boat I have ever heard of having a blower motor on a diesel was a sea ray 460 but I suspect that has more to do with venting the engine compartment when one might be working down there.
I'm pretty sure the idea was that with a blower you could provide cooler, denser air to the intake, more efficient combustion. Not engine temperature related.

I'm surprised that your boat doesn't have one.. a friends B36.7 does and Beneteau is pretty big on standardizing their line- it's on the key switch and runs when the engine is running.. it's an exhaust fan as mentioned above. I think its a good idea that could be improved with an off delay function that let the blower run a few minutes after engine shutdown. Just a hedge against hot engine fumes and smells, and some cooling affect below in hot climes.

·
Old as Dirt!
3,489 Posts
I'm pretty sure the idea was that with a blower you could provide cooler, denser air to the intake, more efficient combustion. Not engine temperature related.

I'm surprised that your boat doesn't have one.. a friends B36.7 does and Beneteau is pretty big on standardizing their line- it's on the key switch and runs when the engine is running.. it's an exhaust fan as mentioned above. I think its a good idea that could be improved with an off delay function that let the blower run a few minutes after engine shutdown. Just a hedge against hot engine fumes and smells, and some cooling affect below in hot climes.
FWIW we added a toggle switch to our engine panel that allows us to turn the engine compartment blower on without activating the engine ignition circuit. Interestingly, it does, also, activate the low oil pressure alarm so I have to loosen the fuse to that circuit to quiet things down. We typically run the blower for 15-20 minutes after we shut down the engine during the summer months to cool the engine compartment and limit the extent to which heat "leaks" into the accommodation, and particularly, the port quarter cabin. (Of course, we don't run the blower during the winter months when the latent engine heat helps keep things quite cozy below deck.) At some point I plan to replace the toggle switch with an electro-mechanical timer switch but thus far that remains fairly low on our "to-do" priority list.

Further, I have yet to see a Beneteau without an engine compartment blower although some may not have been operational and some owners may not even have been aware of their existence.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts