SailNet Community banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
GreatKetch33
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello Folks,

I was looking to educate myself better regarding pop testing of fuel injectors.

I have a Yanmar GM20FV and sent the injectors to be pop tested at a nearby Yanmar dealer. They have been struggling with having them tested because of adapters not fitting correctly. These adapters were provided by Yanmar distributor from the dealer.

The injectors have been at the dealer for approximately 3 months.

My impression of pop testing injectors was that they are placed on a machine and then a pump lever is pressed to see the spray pattern. Moreover some pressure is applied to see if there a leak in the injector.

Aren't the GM20s popular still? Meaning there are many of them out there and that parts are still available?

Is there anyone else who had trouble getting GM20 injectors pop tested due to adapters? Are the adapters hard to acquire?

It seems to me that a pop test shouldn't be so troublesome, but this is my first pop test request. I did buy new injectors; the old injectors would be spares.

Looking forward to reading your thoughts on the topic.

·
GreatKetch33
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
update:
Reason for the delay in the injector pop test ----

Yanmar dealer figured out this past week that the reason why they couldn't pop test the injectors is because what they thought were adapters provided by the Yanmar distributor was actually the bottom half of another injector.

The dealer will contact the distributor to get the correct adapters. I am sure that will speed things up some.

I hope to see what these adapters look like so I am aware of these things in the future.

·
GreatKetch33
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Update:

The dealer who has my injectors forgot to send my injectors back to me -- so I can mail them to the second dealer. He wasn't able to work this mismatch of injector and connector to the pop test machine problem out with his Yanmar distributor located in NJ. I am not sure where the problem is in getting a simple task performed; nonetheless, I hope that I receive my injectors within a week so I can send them to the new dealer for the pop test.

I find this entire experience laborious.

·
Registered
865 Posts
Sorry for your woes. I presume you're sending the injectors to Mack Boring, a top tier organization. In my experience, if your injectors need to be rebuilt Mack Boring will turn them around in a day. If you ask, the very helpful guy in the injector shop will ensure that the parts guys ship the correct copper washers when they return your injectors.

No affiliation w/MB, only a satisfied customer.

·
Land lubber
1,421 Posts
I have a friend with a fuel injector cleaning/servicing business. They can't do diesel or direct injection injectors though due to the excessive pressures. I would contact a trucking company and see who they use.

·
GreatKetch33
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Update:

Since name of a company was mentioned in this thread, I shall offer additional information.

The dealer had been telling me that MacBoring is sending them the incorrect adapters and that MB sent bottom parts of injectors. That MacBoring person who the dealer was working with on this matter went on vacation and more time was lost, the follow-up and confusion by the dealer and according to him MB has added to lack of service on his part -- I know, "it sounds like the dealer is not taking responsibility."

Side note - I took a MacBoring deisel workshop (3 days) in March and learned a great deal; thought the class to be worth the time and money. It was a great experience, anyway,,, it motivated me to have my injectors pop tested.

When I contacted MacBoring in June about sending my injectors to them to have them tested, I was told (Name withheld on purpose) that they are moving out of the fuel service part of the business. The person who performed the testing was no longer employed --- he was let go.

Upon hearing the sad news, I focused my attention to the dealer, who had no problem when it came to my purchases of parts. I have to admit that I have confidence in the dealers ability to provide service -- if an injector pop test can not be resolved how can one count on a replacement of a new engine or repair? Well maybe it is the dollar amount of the job that dictates the resources assigned to the job.

Having spare working injectors makes sense if one intends to cruise. Perhaps not many cruisers have such spare parts on their boats?

Ill provide another update next week. Hopefully the injectors will be delivered and I can try another dealer. This saga has become a story onto itself: The Injectors That Only Wished for a Pop Test. Such as sad, tragic and dramatic story.

·
Registered
2,433 Posts
I assume your course was given by Larry Berlin..if so as I recall part of your course included a tour of their facility and probably explained their 'clean room' for testing and rebuilding injectors and high pressure pumps.

The last time I was up their they had acquired an Indian motorcycle dealership...

·
GreatKetch33
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Larry was no longer teaching: John Farrell was our instructor. Sean Wolf was the young man who would have cleaned the injectors, but he is no longer there. The tour was great and I did see the area where they cleaned injectors, built, and tested. I was surprised to learn this part of their service was redirected to dealers.

The dealer who I have been working with in Northern NYS appears to be under staffed, and unprepared, and have difficulty in customer service in basic communication. I thought the issue may be technical, but I see a pattern with the dealer that is not technical.

Truly, once I get the my injectors back from the dealer, I am very excited about having the dealer downstate take them.

·
Registered
2,433 Posts
Larry was no longer teaching: John Farrell was our instructor. Sean Wolf was the young man who would have cleaned the injectors, but he is no longer there. The tour was great and I did see the area where they cleaned injectors, built, and tested. I was surprised to learn this part of their service was redirected to dealers.
Interesting..I had some correspondence from Larry just a couple of months ago. As I recall you could purchase parts there while taking their course but will be directed to any future purchasing will be thru their deal network.

Stopped in a while back and had our injectors popped tested while we waited..

·
Registered
5,067 Posts
Mack Boring apparently is no longer providing direct 'repair' services for injectors, injector pumps and the smaller transmissions, etc. All this work is now being handled by their distribution network, MB being the 'master' distributor.
Many of their former employees who did this work are either found in the 'distribution' network or are operating as independents.
In providing such services MB was essentially competing with its distributors.
Actually this is better for the consumer, as these folks who are now independents have less overhead charges for their businesses and thus the cost to consumer is less .... and the high quality work remains.

For transmissions: www.eastcoastmarinetransmissions.com This guy has magic in his fingertips as he sets up gearing 'backlash', etc.; a true 'artist'. Comes VERY recommended, and is highly recommended by MB.

·
Registered
2,433 Posts
Mack Boring apparently is no longer providing direct 'repair' services for injectors, injector pumps and the smaller transmissions, etc. All this work is now being handled by their distribution network, MB being the 'master' distributor.
Many of their former employees who did this work are either found in the 'distribution' network or are operating as independents.
In providing such services MB was essentially competing with its distributors.
Actually this is better for the consumer, as these folks who are now independents have less overhead charges for their businesses and thus the cost to consumer is less .... and the high quality work remains.

For transmissions: www.eastcoastmarinetransmissions.com This guy has magic in his fingertips as he sets up gearing 'backlash', etc.; a true 'artist'. Comes VERY recommended, and is highly recommended by MB.
Again interesting..must have happened this past year as I said previously I've been having conservations with Larry Berlin just recently on some questions and he'd get back to me right away.

Had a 3GM30F rebuilt there..but the transmission was farmed out to an 'independent'(not my choosing)..didn't find out till later (found by the tech at Mack Boring)that the transmission was setup incorrectly...

By-the-way...your URL comes back website not found..

·
GreatKetch33
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I think the issue is that if the dealers are to take on the tasks of services that they should be able to perform pop test of injectors; the first dealer said he couldn't do it because he did have the equipment; the second dealer had my injectors and was unable to work with MB to get it done and still has not sent my injectors back-- I asked him to send it back because I found a third dealer who swears he can do the pop test.

I'll let you know how it goes next week. I expect the injectors to be delivered.

Interesting issue: service by MD and dealers. What is the level of service and quality? Don't use my experience as the norm. So far I'm down two strikes with dealers but I'm sure there is a dealer that will hit a home run.

·
GreatKetch33
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
"the first dealer said he couldn't do it because he did have the equipment"

--correction: the first dealer said he couldn't do it because he did NOT have the equipment

·
GreatKetch33
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Update:
Called dealer owner this morning because I have not received my "not pop tested injectors last week in the mail," and he said he hadn't had time to send them; the same message I heard before.

I'll call again tomorrow.

Unfortunately, I did express that I am losing patience with him because he had my injectors all summer, and I found a place that will perform the test thereby releasing the dealer of the burden to perform an injector pop test.

I think this dealer should be moved from gold status to bronze on the MB site.

·
Schooner Captain
2,199 Posts
Not being a guru of yanmar I must ask, are these injectors manual or electronic?
If they are manual, your wasting your time testing the injectors if you have less then 3000 hours on the engine, and are having no issues. If your making diesel, then have them rebuilt, it does not cost much, and you have peace of mind.

·
GreatKetch33
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Injectors are manual and I have no clue how many hours on them; not sure if spray pattern is 100 percent.

More to come...,

·
Registered
5,067 Posts
It is my understanding from a recent visit there that MB is and has been in the process of divesting itself of most in-house repair work ... the claim is that such work competes with their distributors. MB is the 'master' distributor for the Eastern US.

·
GreatKetch33
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Update:
Wonderful news: my non pop tested injectors arrived at my residence.

Next step is to send to third dealer located downstate NY to have them look at it.

MB they also sold parts to students of their classes only when such student was on premises; otherwise one needed to work with the dealers .

·
Registered
5,067 Posts
The injector type used in Yanmars are very common in other diesel engines.

I wouldnt depend on a Yanmar dealer to do the testing for you as most likely that dealer will only send them out to a local automotive diesel injector shop. Just about every large town or small city has such injector shops. The turn around time for such testing (and repair if needed) is usually only 3-4 days.
To find the 'best' one in your local area, go to a large high volume independent auto repair shop or local auto supply store that caters to 'mechanics' and simply ask them: who do they use for diesel injector testing and repair?
These arent 'anything special' injectors and any reputable injector shop can check (and rebuild) them.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts