SailNet Community banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, i am new and have exhausted my efforts with the local marina's and mechanics. its an inboard yanmar sb8 on a 1978 27' Hunter located in portsmouth va.

I have a Yanmar SB8 and it recently left me stranded in the water and thanks to tow boat us i got back to the marina safely.

the motor has been working fine and i've taken it out as far as 85% throttle for up to 8 hours on just engine to do a rundown on the durability of the engine and going as far as 50knotts on the engine alone. i went to see a firework show a half knott from the marina and the engine went from normal operation to getting progressively louder, as if a gasket failed and exhaust was escaping, til a POP occurred and the engine sputtered to a hault as i killed the fuel to it to prevent any further damage. i was not fast enough to prevent the pop.

after having mechanic look at it from horizon marine service i was told it was a simple job of getting a push rod that fell out, back in place. the rod was restored and again it came out. then i was told a rocker arm was bent and simply need a new rocker arm.

i've been searching endlessly for a month now and don't know where else to go. i've emailed yanmar and distributors for a rocker arm assembly. i am currently trying to find machine shops to see if they can machine a new one but any help in getting this part is greatly appreciated...ive tried ebay, amazon, googled in australia, japan....

·
Registered
551 Posts
Call L&W Machine in Norfolk, VA ask for Marvin, this guy has been building me custom parts for years 757 857-4145.

The rocker will need to be hardened at tip and pushrod cup but he will be able to guide you on that process.

Good luck

1 - 5 of 5 Posts