SailNet Community banner
1 - 5 of 7 Posts

Registered
Reaction score
MY YANMAR 3YM30 IS SHAKING ITSELF TO BITS. It is 9 years old and 3000 hours and has run perfectly until 30 hours ago. The engine runs perfectly in neutral to full RPM. It also runs smoothly in reverse at all speeds. In forward gear, it runs ok until I shift into neutral and try to shift back into forward.
Then the engine starts to shake at 1000rpm and shakes horribly and starts a clacking / grinding noise at anything over 1200 rpm. It is truly frightening
On the advice of the Singapore dealer, I replaced the engine mounts and vibration damper. No improvement at all.
Finding an available mechanic here is very difficult, so any suggestions what to look into would be most appreciated.
What is a vibration damper? Where is it mounted?
I suppose you're based in Singapore? You could dismantle the gearbox and bring it to CLLS for them to service or contact Bobby Ee from Esgrit for some help/repair.

Registered
Reaction score
Dave, where's your berth? If you planned work on the high pressure injector pump, it can be easily dismantle for CLLS to service. Cost about $120. Otherwise, suggest you call Bobby Ee (Esgrit Marine, 97453403), he can go down to your boat to check out your engine problem.
My friends and had I've used him couple of times. He's helpful.

Registered
Reaction score
Dave, sounds like your gearbox to be the problem. Dismantle it and have CLLS overhaul/repair. Alternatively, There's a boatyard over at Masai, east side of the Causeway they agent for Beta and Yanmar i believe. Perhaps you could try them. I'll get you their contact later.

Registered
Reaction score
Dave,
3 options:

1. Call Simon Goh, Ops Mgr, Dalac Marine Engineering & Services Sdn Bhd. HP: 019-771 7226. 44B Kampung Telok Jawa, 81750 Masai, Johor. Ask if he or anyone repair Yanmar/Kazaki gearbox.

2. Call Bobby Ee, Ops & Repr Mgr, Esgrit Marine Engineering Pte Ltd. HP: +65 97453403. 96 Tagore Lane, Singapore 787538. You can send gearbox to him for repair/service.

3. I email you the shop manual and parts catalogue and you try DIY repair of gearbox.

Ken

Registered
Reaction score
I have a shop manual for both 3YM30 and 3GM 30. The newer 3YM30 has no transmission section at all. The fuel system has checked out fine. Gearbox now at Dalac Marine with Simon.I'll know by this time tomorrow what the verdict is.

Thanks for all your help. After 2 circumnavigations and 30 years cruising, I thought I knew everything. You folks have given me a great dose of humility.

Cheers, Dave
Dave, so what's the verdict? :confused:

1 - 5 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.