SailNet Community banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

Registered
Corsair 24
Reaction score
can you take tranny out and check it over before taking whole engine out?

if it not prop, shaft, cutlass bearing or stuffing box issues then go to tranny...might be one of the bearings being seized

the exra help with throttle could be something as simple as the extra load created by this and you needing to give more throttle

start with the simple stuff...

did the shop put in the correct tranny oil?

clanking sound in the tranny is a dead giveaway, start there.

some yanmars need specific tranny oil and not using the correct type will cause slippage, vibration etc...

just a thought

Registered
Corsair 24
Reaction score
That's my very next step on Monday. I'll let you know how it goes. Tho the engine runs fine [ in neutral ], up to 3600 RPM. Under load, all heck breaks loose. Gotta be something in fuel system causing it to knock. All fuel filters clean, but maybe not injector pump , lines or injectors.

Thanks, Dave
is it knocking engine side or tranny side...you said tranny side so why would you go looking at injectors first?

you also say it runs fine up to 3600rpm unloaded(which is a bad thing to do btw)...

be carefull

I vote tranny

good luck

Registered
Corsair 24
Reaction score
Singapore dealer visually inspected tranny, said damage unlikely.

Shifter checked, all fine.

Vibration damper is a spring loaded plate which absorbs shock from tranny shifting. Cost $350. No joy

Fixed 3 blade Michigan wheel is fine, likewise shaft.

Problem appears to be injector pump, injectors, and tranny. Tho no problems when revving in neutral or full throttle in reverse. Also no problem when cold engine or above 2000RPM.

Most worrisome is incredible shaking and clacking noise at 1200 to 1900 RPM in forward gear
does it do it in reverse?

Registered
Corsair 24
Reaction score
just trying to help! hope it all works out...

ps...you never stop learning if you continue to want to! jajajaja

peace

Registered
Corsair 24
Reaction score
the shaft inside the bearing or the bearing within the skeg?

should have NO PLAY either way...

if the actual bearing has play inside the skeg that means it is not properly bedded, is the set screw still there?

the same applies to a cutlass bearing bedded inside a stern gland in glass...

Registered
Corsair 24
Reaction score
btw running an engine with a loose cutlass bearing or NO bearing at all especially if unaligned will make a horrible racket!

I bought a boat with a bad bearing and later replaced it...basically using the engine even for emergency just made too much noise and damage

this might be your issue all along

remeber go from simple to complicated thats why start from the prop all the way to the engine...

Registered
Corsair 24
Reaction score
AWESOME! have a beer and get that tranny rebuilt!

peace

can you try to have one made in the meantime? Ive had to do a lot of machining simple stuff for my motorcycle down here

making one in bronze or stainless for the meantime while you wait for the original might be of help to you

Registered
Corsair 24
Reaction score
thats what I was told on my old 2gm too!

slap it in reverse and forget about it...

forgot about that here...good advice bud

christian

Registered
Corsair 24
Reaction score
do you have specs for the flat washers? it might be that and not the cone

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.