SailNet Community banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
yanmar is certainly proud of those little pumps huh,I once used a 12 volt water puppy as a temporary subsitute until i could find one

·
s/v Ubiquitous
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Agreed, the pumps are outrageous for such a simple pump...$400+ bucks makes me inventive.

I have a small water pump (12v) I use as my hand bilge pump, my concerns on an electric pump is how long they can stay running without burning up and too forceful of cfm...

Does anyone know of any other inboards wit an external pump, I mean I can fab a bracket to attach it (only two bolts hold it on)....I mean, as long as it pumps water and lines up with the drive pulley, it should work I would think.

·
s/v Ubiquitous
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
HEY SAWINGKNOTS!

I see you and I share an identical boat, well yours looks much nicer but I just got mine, its in rough shape but nothing I cant handle. Might have some specific PY26 questions as I move forward on this project. I take it you like yours. I came into this one at a marina, guy was going to scrap it. Within the first 3 hours AFTER I paid the guy I got the motor cranked...I think that pissed him off a little but hey, what can you say...oh here is more money cause I got her to run...lol.

My main issue is the cooling system (and said water pump) seems like I get one thing working (thermostat) another needs attention. This is also my first diesel and I found i really like the panzer tank sound of my little YSM12 :)

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
yup i do like mine but 10 years ago when i bought her she was is a derilick condition and i doubt i'll ever get it top notch,whats wrong with the pump you have worn shaft?the end plate can be reversed to the unworn side,jabsco also makes a few pullyed pumps that might work given a few alterations/mounting bracket etc,sure feel free to ask me anything,anytime what ever it is i'm sure i've dealt with it

·
Registered
4,701 Posts
I think you will find most similar pumps (Jabsco, Sherwood, etc.) are similarly priced. By the time you modify brackets, buy new belt, etc you won't save much at all. A rebuild kit is probably $100 or so. That would be the way to go if the housing is OK.

·
Registered
4,701 Posts
1 - 8 of 8 Posts