SailNet Community banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
Sounds like the African Queen on the run, It's a single Banger. Pushes to hull speed and burns 1 liter per hour. mine is also a V drive !....Dale

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
A YSM8 through a v-drive? Egad, it probably has 3 hp at the prop.

Cowlum, was a that a cold start? First start of the day?
Yes, it should have been the first start of the day. I asked the owner to specifically not start the engine before I arrived, he seemed trust worthy.. The block was cold to the touch and it started much easier once warm.

It may be low power but it had no issues with a 1.8-ton boat. Besides,in my price range I cant be too choosy..

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
A YSM8 through a v-drive? Egad, it probably has 3 hp at the prop.

Cowlum, was a that a cold start? First start of the day?
I just looked up what a vdrive is.. This boat doesnt have a vdrive, its a forward mounted engine. What you are lookiing at is an engine mounted under the v-birth.

Thanks

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
Yes : but mine is and it does the job well . My boat is 28ft. and 6000lbs empty so it should do well for you!....Dale

·
Banned
8,867 Posts
No Experience with that engine, but some with others. I have noticed that when cold some sound similar, but with a single it is more noticeable. After getting to full operating temp, the metallic type noise seemed to mellow out. There is a whole lot of commotion going on in there when it fires. If it starts easily, runs alright, pushes the boat, doesn't heat up or smoke excessively, use excessive amounts of oil, and the coolant is not milky, it is probably/possibly good for a while. A good long hard run should show any severe problems. An oil analysis may show severe wearing or excess fuel problems.

Paul T

·
19,488 Posts
Sounds typical to me, and looks well kept/clean to boot. The Yamaha 30 (I'm guessing) is an interesting boat - with some nice ideas and touches both below and on deck. The under-the-V berth engine is one of them; maybe not the best one, but it's quiet in the cockpit and warms the bed! ;) Long shaft with several steady rests, though.

From that one shot she looks well cared for.

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
Re: yanmar YSM8

I just looked up what a vdrive is.. This boat doesnt have a vdrive, its a forward mounted engine. What you are lookiing at is an engine mounted under the v-birth.

Thanks
From the interior picture, this looks like a Yamaha 25 or 26. Very high quality boats and fast, too.
The nominal hp rating for the Yanmar single horizontal cylinder engines was 8 hp for the smaller one and 12 hp for the larger one.
With the engine forward in their 25, 30, and 33, the shaft was horizontal and the prop turns in deep water just behind the fin keel. This scheme really puts the highest % of usable hp to the water. Compared to a rear engine with a shaft a steeper down angle, it's like getting another couple HP out of the engine.

Good luck on your purchase. If Swan had ever built a boat of that size, it would be that kind of engineering and build quality.
And, having said all that, I'd have a mechanic survey that little engine. It's a simple engine and the fee should not be too much.

Fair winds,
Loren

Reactions: bljones

·
19,488 Posts
Re: yanmar YSM8

From the interior picture, this looks like a Yamaha 25 or 26.
You're right.. a 30 would have a bigger engine.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Yes its a Yamaha 25 it good condition.
I've never owned a diesel before (boat or car) and so was just a little thrown back by the racket.
I'll be organising a diesel inspection when I have a survey done.

Thanks for the replies!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts