SailNet Community banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Curious to get the take of those with more experience than I at this game. If a yard gives you an estimate for a job, is there ever a point at which exceeding the estimate becomes something where the yard should share the pain?

In my case, the estimate was for $x. The yard sent me a bill for a lot of stuff that was not covered by the estimate, but eyeballing the total bill it seems they are charging me somewhere between two and three times $x for the work in question. Let me say that I do not think they are padding their time and I am happy with the work they have done. I think their estimate was way below what it should have been, and on top of that they encountered some things they didn't expect. I'll reveal what $x is after some responses come back, if it seems like that is relevant.

Thx

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
There was not a detailed estimate for the work in question. By way of context, this is in the middle of a major refit -- the total cost of which will significantly exceed the purchase price of the boat.

I had been given written estimates for prior work, and this was a specific thing that was orally discussed at the time I made the decision to go ahead. The work is being done in Massachusetts, but I'm not looking for any sort of legal remedy here. I'm a lawyer by trade, and don't want to go there in this instance. As I said, I'm happy with the work that has been done and I genuinely like the the guy who has been doing the work and runs the show.

John: I sail (or will) out of Port Washington, which is on Long Island in NY. Am I correct in guessing that you think there is a Texas connection?

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
One more point of clarification: This is a job that once you start, there really is no turning back. So even had they called me to tell me that they had encountered more difficulty than expected, it would not have made a difference in the end. I have no choice but to have the job completed.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.