SailNet Community banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
s/v Tiger Lily
624 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I hauled out late in the season (about three weeks ago). A few days later I had the marina winterize the engine and water lines while I was traveling for work. Over the course of a few weeks it rained. Then it snowed.

I went to the boat this past weekend ... no more snow on the deck, but I was dismayed to find that the diesel deck fill cap was off all that time. The mechanic probably forgot to put the cap back on after adding stabilizer.

I have to assume a considerable amount of water has entered the tank.

I had a hurried conversation with the marina manager, and he seemed agreeable to pumping out the fuel and replacing it (only 20 gallons). But I wanted to send him a confirmatory email today. What exactly should I ask him to do? Is pumping out the fuel and replacing it sufficient? This all happened after it was on the hard, so I'm assuming the fuel lines are not fouled. Is that correct?

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
I wouldn't be to worried about it . But rather than just pump it out , maybe you could get some inspection ports installed and do a full on tank clean . Some people call that a tank polish . Or just out with the old and in with the new . Also I would say the lines are good. You like Natalie ?

·
Barquito
3,505 Posts
How about draining through the fuel hose. The water will all be in the bottom. Re-fill some, and repeat. Then fill to the top. Maybe a little public flogging of the yard worker too. :)

·
Registered
21,812 Posts
You will want to be sure that the tank is pumped dry and not just down to the pickup tube height. That will require an inspection port, most likely. Otherwise, you may pump off the good diesel, with water lying on the bottom, which doesn't get picked up until you are underway and sloshing around.

Reactions: davidpm

·
Registered
7,292 Posts
"IF" the pump nozzle is AT the bottom of the tank, you should literally get most of the water out, of drain as mentioned thru a bottom of the tank lin ingress egress. BUT, the issue with this, is as also mentioned, the outlet may be higher than the bottom, so you may not get all the water out! Plus and minus's to all the options frankly.

marty

·
Registered
125 Posts
sounds like the Marina is top notch. Oops so sorry we made that mistake lets go above and beyond to make sure everything is right ..

·
Registered
634 Posts
Having been through a similar situation (but of my own making) I would settle for nothing less than complete polishing. You don't want to have any concerns in an agitated seaway. Sounds like a real stand up marina.

·
Remember you're a womble
2,328 Posts
Good on them, anyone can make a mistake, it's how the consequences are dealt with that sets a good company (or indeed person) apart.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts