SailNet Community banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am in the market for a new boat in the 40 foot range. I spotted an older 37 PSC yawl on the west coast (where I am looking to live) and was wondering how hard it is to do the conversion. Not really wanting a mizzen mast on a boat that size.

·
Registered
192 Posts
I don't think that the conversion from yawl to cutter is a large project.The main mast remains in the same position so only a inner forestay for the staysail would be required.To be certain you could speak with Thumper or Steve at the factory in NC.

Good luck,
Dianne and Chuck Burke S/V NiftyNickers C37 #139

·
Dirt Free
2,833 Posts
I don't think that the conversion from yawl to cutter is a large project.The main mast remains in the same position
This could lead to an extremely unbalanced boat. Suggest you contact the designer and get his input.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I am in the middle of the process of converting my yawl to a cutter. It was a double headsail rig, so all I have had to do was to remove the mizzen and hardware, and to rerig the split backstay to a conventional backstay.
The mizzen is less than 100 square feet, and I believe was added without changing the location or size of the main and headsails.
I have owned Margalo, our 1983 PS37 for 15 years and essentially sailed her as a sloop or a cutter, to the removal of the mizzen will only simplify the rig and clear some deck/cockpit space.

·
Registered
23,894 Posts
If the main mast and sail sizes are exactly the same with and without the mizzen, that's pretty odd. If the mast doesn't move, I would at least expect the use of different sails with a mizzen.

One could always just avoid flying the mizzen, so why bother taking the stick out?

·
SV Skalliwag #141
744 Posts
Non tech answer here: why someone would want to do such a thing is beyond me. The Crealock 37 Yawl is a beautiful boat (I have one) and that mizzen mast sets the boat apart from every other boat in the anchorage. Taking the mizzen off has to be an unnatural sacrilegious act!

·
Registered
21 Posts
Haha! My father once told me that there is no accounting for taste.
My reasons are several. The first is that I hardly ever use the mizzen and do not find that it contributes to the sailing qualities of my boat. the second is that I am installing a vane steeringer in preparation for some longer cruises. The mizzen complicates and possibly interferes with a vane. Last is simplicity. I now have 6 stays coming back to the quarters. This will reduce it to one. Who knows, I may regret it.

·
SV Skalliwag #141
744 Posts
Dhows: yes you would need to prevent the mizzen boom to one side or the other when using the vane. My boat has one. The mizzen can also be used as an anchor sail, a crane to lift the outboard, a alternate location for sat phone antenna, radar, radar reflector, wifi antenna, wind generator etc. that mizzen mast is a great place to lean on while drinking a cup of coffee. My boat is cutter rigged so I have a lot of sail combination choices: jib and jigger, staysil and jigger, all 4 sails up. Just my 2 cents.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Malaika is a Cutter rig.
I envy those boat owners with the Yawl rig.
They are beautiful and from practical point of view they give you more option Sailing and Hardware.
It is never too late to remove. Live with that and than make your mind.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts