SailNet Community banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Finally launched this morning. YAY. Launch went really well and smooth. Great news since neither of us have sailed. You can read about it in our blog Wanderlust - Our Seafarer 22 Sailing Adventures: Today Is launch day - May 3, 2014 Now we just need to wait for our friends that are going to teach us how to sail to get with us on hooking up the sails. We were able to get the main sail and boom attached but the baby was getting cranky to we have to wait to get the rigging set. Still excited though.

·
Barquito
3,683 Posts
Congratulations! Looked like a great day out there. You might get all sorts of you-should-have-done-this-or-that advice on this forum. Just remember just about everyone on this forum has been where you are at some point. So, my advice (and I don't always follow my own advice) is to try to have at least two forms of propulsion available at all times. Outboard motors are never reliable. Having sails set up would have been good. On smaller boats, having an oar can be very useful. Also, until you get things a little more dialed-in, leave the kids on shore. You want them to experience the fun part of sailing, not all of the initial growing pains. So naturally, having said this, I must admit that after buying my current boat, I motored into the teeth of a small craft advisory without any sails rigged with my teenage daughter for a two day trip to my home port!

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Congratulations! Looked like a great day out there. You might get all sorts of you-should-have-done-this-or-that advice on this forum. Just remember just about everyone on this forum has been where you are at some point. So, my advice (and I don't always follow my own advice) is to try to have at least two forms of propulsion available at all times. Outboard motors are never reliable. Having sails set up would have been good. On smaller boats, having an oar can be very useful. Also, until you get things a little more dialed-in, leave the kids on shore. You want them to experience the fun part of sailing, not all of the initial growing pains. So naturally, having said this, I must admit that after buying my current boat, I motored into the teeth of a small craft advisory without any sails rigged with my teenage daughter for a two day trip to my home port!
We do have oars in there too :) thanks for the reminder though as i don't think my husband plans on keeping them in there. We are having lessons either next weekend (not sure since I think its mothers day, i have to check) or the weekend after and we are working on getting a sitter so we can concentrate on learning what we need to.

·
Registered
661 Posts
Congratulations on your splash...that is quite the salty crew you have there.

BTW - Take it slow and pick your days, before you know it that crew will be handling it while you enjoy the view;)

Reactions: davekrista

·
Registered
1,446 Posts
Congratulations, I've always liked the Seafarer 22. For its size, it gives you some great sailing. My neighbor in DC bought one and kept it in the same marina. I think you should include your oldest daughter in the sail training, she looks old enough and there is nothing about sailing your boat she would not understand and grasp quickly. Then with the whole family on board you would have three capable crew should a parent be distracted with the babies. My daughter learned the fine art of steering at about five and it made the sail more interesting for her. Good luck, and be safe.
John

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Congratulations, I've always liked the Seafarer 22. For its size, it gives you some great sailing. My neighbor in DC bought one and kept it in the same marina. I think you should include your oldest daughter in the sail training, she looks old enough and there is nothing about sailing your boat she would not understand and grasp quickly. Then with the whole family on board you would have three capable crew should a parent be distracted with the babies. My daughter learned the fine art of steering at about five and it made the sail more interesting for her. Good luck, and be safe.
John
They oldest does want to learn and has already been a big help. We are going to show her though after we learn. We think she will learn best from us. Daddy calls her his first mate and she seems to like that so we think she will definately do well.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts