SailNet Community banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Scalawag
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The idea of spending more than 60$ on a cooler is crazy to me, though I have bought a couple cheap igloo coolers to only have handles brake off and being the large size when full is hard to handle especially lifting in and out of boats to high docks and similar situations.

I am planning on doing some cruising for a week or two maybe longer if lucky this summer on a Merit 25 I may try to spend a couple days (or more) off some uninhabited islands on Lake Michigan and really like the idea of ice and a cold drink. Would a Yeti cooler or something comparable be worth it? The only reason I could ever justify the price is if it would be the last cooler I would ever need to buy being it will last a lifetime. I am someone to pay more for something that will last a long time and lead me to take better care of it than something cheap that I my not take as good of care of and will have to buy again because of poor quality.

Anyone have a yeti or have any first hand knowledge of the quality and if they are worth it?

Thanks

·
Registered
Bristol 29.9
358 Posts
We bought a Yeti last summer. Yes, it's quite expensive, but it's hands-down the best cooler we've ever owned. It keeps things much colder for a lot longer than our other previous coolers, and it's tough as nails. We keep it at the base of the companionway stairs so we stepped on the lid as our "last step" all summer. You'd never know it.

I suggest shopping around. We bought ours online from Overtons when they were having a summer sale. 20% off plus free shipping.

If we ever decide we need a larger cooler, it will be another Yeti.

·
Registered
970 Posts
Unless the boat has no electrical and/or charging system, I'd be more inclined to go with a portable refrigeration unit like an Engel or Dometic. With very low amp draw it will make ice and even keep ice cream and meats. It will free you from having to venture into port every few days to pick up more ice. With dual voltage, you can pack it at home, plug it into the car, and then into the boat without losing temperature. If you ever go camping or on road trips, it's also very handy. They don't cost a whole lot more than the Yetis and while they probably won't last a "lifetime", users have reported 10-15 years of reliable service.

·
Registered
75 Posts
I have one small and one large cooler by yeti. The small one when filled with ice lasts for a week plus if not frequently accessed. I plan to freeze ice blocks and fill the small cooler with them ( 5x5x12inch each). Then as necessary transfer the blocks into my other yeti or builtin cooler. This Sumer I will try to time how long I can go with this setup. I freeze ice at home. These are quite sturdy and well sealed.

·
Banned
325 Posts
I would love to have one. Hopefully the price will come down over the years or someone else will create a product that can compete. I did buy the yettie koozie "$30 wow" but it is awesome. On a hot day you can pull out the empty and it's still ice cold.

·
Registered
217 Posts
We purchased a Yeti cooler last year, it is vastly superior to any cooler we have used in the past. They are not cheap but hey, if you need ice to make that martini four days after you bought ice, you will be able to make it properly, just sayin, :)

·
Scalawag
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
We purchased a Yeti cooler last year, it is vastly superior to any cooler we have used in the past. They are not cheap but hey, if you need ice to make that martini four days after you bought ice, you will be able to make it properly, just sayin, :)
Thats a great argument

To the Portable fridge idea. That would be a good option but I dont think the boat has any batteries and if it does they wouldnt be for anything like that just for running lights and a speedo. Also the boat just has an outboard so no generator capabilities.

I dont know the idea of spending that much on a cooler is hard to stomach especially on a budget but im sure it would pay off in bags of ice saved over a couple years haha let alone convience

·
Registered
970 Posts
Another alternative to consider is the Coleman "Marine Extreme" cooler. It gets very good reviews, sells for under $100, and some people even say it performs as well or better than the Yeti. I don't have personal experience, but you might want to include them in your research.

If you're handy you could consider building a super insulated ice box using 3-4" of board insulation, plywood, fiberglass cloth, resin, and paint. For under $100 in materials you'd have a box that would outperform any cooler and that could be customized to your needs. It probably wouldn't be very portable or very light, but it's hard to beat the bang for the buck.

With any cooler it's a good idea to "pre-cool" the box. Ice it down a day or so before using it then dump the initial ice and refill with the intended contents. Doing this will keep from using up a good bit of precious boat ice just to get the insides of the box walls down to temperature. Once in use, keep it as low in the boat as possible and in the shade at all times. Another trick is to keep a very small second cooler aboard. When you have your breakfast, pack your lunch, snacks, and drinks for the day into the small cooler. That way you're only opening the big cooler for breakfast and dinner preparation, and not multiple times during the heat of the midday.

·
Registered
24 Posts
2 years ago we bought a Colman Marine Extreme cooler. The handles are still on, hinges still intact (replaceable when they do break). Very happy with it.

Paul

·
Scalawag
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I actually just checked my garage and the large cooler that I bought a couple years ago with broken handles is a coleman xtreme. Its the one with wheels on one end and a long handle to pull it. The long handle is still intact but the smaller lifting handles are both gone along with the water drain plug. My use was mostly on a 17' boston whaler out for the day so it wasnt in the shade and was obviously getting alot of direct sunlight but I found myself having to buy a new bag of ice everyday. If these compare to a Yeti then yetis are not worth the money. I have a feeling a Yeti is much much more efficient than the xtremes. I do like the cooler it has served its purpose but I really fill that sucker up with ice and adult beverages among other things and those handles dont stand a chance. For that reason alone I would consider a Yeti if the handles are as sturdy as they look.

·
Closet Powerboater
3,925 Posts
I have an igloo or coleman that is designed for longer use. It has about half the capacity but twice the insulation as any other cooler. Had it about 10 years now. Great cooler. Block ice takes a week to melt in the summer here. It was cheap.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts