SailNet Community banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
5,180 Posts
So what was the test your students had to pass BEFORE they took your class?

·
islander bahama 24
1,842 Posts
An old swede I knew gave me some sage advice in that area one hand for you one for the boat you fall overboard you are dead period so its harness and jacklines when off shore for me

·
Registered
23,457 Posts
If someone screams Man Overboard and I count heads and all are still aboard, my heart is not really going to be into the search. :)

·
Registered
23,457 Posts
How about having enough money to have a private helicopter and rescue swimmer at the ready, while you wear a water activated PLB?

I know, I'm just being cheeky. You made some very good points.

·
Master Mariner
8,973 Posts
I tell everyone who sails with me that if they go overboard, they might as well start swimming for the nearest land because there is little chance we'll find them. After all, it's likely that they will go overboard in lousy weather, not a calm, beautiful day, right?
First rule aboard Skipping Stone, is however, is that it is against the rules to get hurt. I am dead serious about this and I have fired professional crew for injuring themselves, even relatively minor injuries. It only takes a moment's forethought to choose the right and safe way to do something, and if someone can't take that moment, I certainly don't want them sailing aboard a vessel I am operating.
This is a relatively safe sport and there is no reason that I can see, to make it less so, with inattention and thoughtless actions.

Reactions: bigdogandy

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
Alan , did I read that right ? You screamed MOB but there was no MOB ? And then make crew go back to look for nothing ? If that is the case then that is no way to practice MOB . And I know It's all funny to say 1st. rule don't fall off what ever haha . Please read this part !! Here is how we practice MOB ... I toss a life jacket over board, unannounced then we go get it . We do that about every other year . We also go over how to deploy the Life Sling every year . Crying Wolf is not the way to do it.

·
Master Mariner
8,973 Posts
MOB! The USCG uses a dummy specifically designed for the purpose. It gets dramatically heavier every minute it's in the water.
Every time a US passenger carrying vessel comes up for her COI, you must take the vessel out with her crew and the CG officer will toss this dummy (no not me, the one he brought) in the water. I want all you guys (and gals) out there to think; 84' three masted gaff rigged schooner under full sail in 10 to 20 knots of wind.
Somebody must call a mayday on the radio (usually the captain), someone (usually a passenger) must be spotting the person in the water, pointing, to help the captain keep the person in the water in sight, while the crew is handling all those sails AND preparing the equipment to rescue the person in the water. If I remember correctly you have 5 minutes to save the dummy, no if's and's, or but's, or you don't pass, period. All this with a crew of 2 or 3, plus captain.
This is the only thing I think the USCG does properly in the whole mess of licensing small (under 1600 tons) passenger carrying vessels and personnel.
Are you familiar with the "Williamson turn" (there are others, but I believe this is the preferred method for MOB)?
If you want to do MOB drills, do it like it was for real. Set a realistic time limit, and use something in the water that is as difficult to get aboard as an exhausted or unconscious person (say 2 [80#] or 3 [120#] jerry jugs full of fresh water and a life jacket). It isn't by any means, just about getting the boat back to the person in the water, at least if you actually want to be able to save a life, one day.

·
Registered
Corsair 24
4,594 Posts
I unhijacked it for you! jajajaja

ps. those are 2 rules that are highly implausable...as a sailor you know that(posters)...there is always a chance that it will happen so you simply prepare yourself for it.

the other rule I found weird was "the not getting hurt rule" and people getting fired for it...

Now I know its a major major hassle and often times can result in death...ie an infection mid ocean, or a hemorrage etc...but its not the rule that prevents worse things happening its how you mitigate risk and your preparedness to deal with such issues that saves you in the end.

not "preventing" or prohibiting it from happening is false, cause we all know its just not so...

yes people are lucky and go round the world without anyithing bad happening to them but even the best slip, break a leg, an arm, or a pinky etc...

so lets be real folks

·
Master Mariner
8,973 Posts
Yawn, as usual this post has been completely hijacked. The point was to keep people on board, not man overboard recovery. An ounce of prevention... :)
Gee, I'm sorry. I thought I read, "MAN OVER BOARD! in YOUR post, but I guess I was mistaken.
Though honestly, perhaps you should read what others have posted on the subject, as your "MAN OVER BOARD!" drill seems a bit lacking in functionality.

Reactions: christian.hess
1 - 13 of 13 Posts