SailNet Community banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3,501 Posts
It doesn't look like the wind is blowing hard enough to heel the boat that much naturally. I wonder if they used water ballast somehow to induce it to heel.

·
Barquito
3,656 Posts
I think it has a canting keel. Looks like he was walking up the luff of the sail. I bet that is a used sail they otherwise going to scrap.

·
Registered
1,899 Posts
Totally insane, but I did like it.
Its a good way to lose an eye.

·
Banned
17,467 Posts
I am a huge fan of AlexT...PRECISELY BECAUSE he does stuff like this. Sure, he's a great sailor - but he brings a crap ton of great exposure to the sport by making it fun through ideas like these.

He's becoming the Travis Pastrana of sailing.

Go the Alex!

(I need a couple of those scrap sails.)

·
Kynntana (Freedom 38)
977 Posts
Hot.

Is it clear this is not real? The boat was moving fast, then it wasn't for the top camera angle. He almost flipped on his back at the take off, then made a somewhat decent dive entry (with suit and shoes on, no less). Some professional cliff divers might be able to do that stunt, but even if the mast was only 15 meters above the water, that's still like going 60 mph on impact.

The mast climb was nicely done though.

·
Registered
602 Posts
I am a huge fan of AlexT...PRECISELY BECAUSE he does stuff like this. Sure, he's a great sailor - but he brings a crap ton of great exposure to the sport by making it fun through ideas like these.

He's becoming the Travis Pastrana of sailing.

Go the Alex!

(I need a couple of those scrap sails.)

Pastrami who?

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
Eh, you're too easily amused in this age of one-upsmanship that occurs on the internet.

And I'm not sure what this has to do with sailing, or how it is "great exposure" that somehow benefits us recreational sailors.

I guess if it's entertaining, that's cool, but it seems kind of silly to me.

·
Banned
17,467 Posts
Eh, you're too easily amused in this age of one-upsmanship that occurs on the internet.

And I'm not sure what this has to do with sailing, or how it is "great exposure" that somehow benefits us recreational sailors.

I guess if it's entertaining, that's cool, but it seems kind of silly to me.
It has to do with sailing in that stuff like this makes the sport exciting and cool to a new generation. That's good - no matter how you slice it.

As for "benefitting us recreational sailors" - who the hell cares how we're benefitted? I sail because I love to sail. I don't need anything else.

But, just as importantly, I love to see people having fun with it. THAT'S the biggest benefit there is. And AT knows how to do that. Good on him.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts