SailNet Community banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Master Mariner
9,225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
You know it's bad when....
You ask the refrigeration guy what the problem is, and he says, "You have a gremlin in your system. Hit it here with a rubber mallet, if it gives any you trouble." And it worked!

Reactions: JimMcGee

·
Registered
1,844 Posts
The mechanic used the same technique to get my engine going.

I'm thinking I might have too many tools in my toolkit.

All you need:

·
Bombay Explorer 44
3,619 Posts
Slight thread drift but germane.

Many moons ago while in the motor trade I was called out to a Ford that would not start. He described the symptoms and I was pretty sure that it was just a stuck starter motor bendix which was a common problem with the model. I arrived on scene, asked him to try the starter and heard the familiar click. I had already pickup the hammer from my toolbox so while still talking to him I leaned down reached under the wing and whacked the starter and heard the bendix release. Try it now I said and it started

I wrote out the bill which was considerable as it was after midnight at the weekend maybe £40. [ about £120 today std AA call out charge ] Just a single line call out £40. When he saw how much it was he had a fit. Eventually I had to write out another along these lines.

Travel £10
Diagnosis £3
Tool selection £2
Knowing exactly where and how hard to apply selected tool £25

Even then he was not really mollified. Still he got to drive home.

I did warn him not to stop the engine and to have a new bendix and ring gear fitted.

Maybe I should have told him that I had knocked out the gremlin that was on the starter.

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
You know it's bad when, after searching for years, you've finally found the boat of your dreams, and, from deep within her bowels,
you hear the surveyor say, "UH-OH!"..... [icon]--heartbreak--[/icon]

Reactions: capta

·
Registered
6,689 Posts
The mechanic used the same technique to get my engine going.

I'm thinking I might have too many tools in my toolkit.

All you need:

This is the same hammer I have on my boat - it solves a multitude of problems, and so far, it hasn't damaged a thing. When my rub rail was ripped out I merely tapped it back in place using that rubber mallet and it has been in place ever since. I also use the same mallet to hammer the lids closed on paint and varnish cans - works great.

At home, I have a heat valve on my hotwater baseboard heating system that occasionally sticks. A couple smacks with mallet and the valve is free and functional.

There is an old saying with auto mechanics, "if all else fails, get a bigger hammer!" ;)

Cheers,

Gary :cool:

·
Sea Sprite 23 #110 (20)
3,217 Posts
years and years ago when I was a wee child.. my Father had MGBs. The electric fuelpump on them was under the car behind the seats. When it starts to go bad, you get either a deadblow hammer or the brass hammer they give you for taking off the wire wheels and give the firewall a quick hit.. kicks the pump right in.

Basically it went... drivedrivedrivedrive..bog... whack!whack! Drivedrivedrive

·
Registered
1,654 Posts
You know it's bad when, after searching for years, you've finally found the boat of your dreams, and, from deep within her bowels,
you hear the surveyor say, "UH-OH!"..... [icon]--heartbreak--[/icon]
That's EXACTLY what happened with us. I was in the cockpit and she was in the head when I heard the "Uh-Oh".

·
Registered
178 Posts
years and years ago when I was a wee child.. my Father had MGBs. The electric fuelpump on them was under the car behind the seats. When it starts to go bad, you get either a deadblow hammer or the brass hammer they give you for taking off the wire wheels and give the firewall a quick hit.. kicks the pump right in.

Basically it went... drivedrivedrivedrive..bog... whack!whack! Drivedrivedrive
Slamming the right-side door also worked.

·
Registered
140 Posts
All you ever need to know to fix everything!
If it won't move- don't force it, get a bigger hammer.
It it is loose, tighten it up until it strips and then back it off a half turn.

·
Old enough to know better
4,345 Posts
I was going to ask if it was a British made refrigerator. But I see others already hit the mark...

Why do the British drink warm beer (besides the fact that it tastes better) ?

They have Lucas refrigerators.... (cue laugh track)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts