SailNet Community banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
You know your having a bad day when ........ Vendee Globe Race

You think you hit a submerged cargo container, lose the bulb off your keel, set off your EIPRB and spend 10 hours in your survival suit curled up in the bow of your boat. Jean le Cam was rescued by another racer that managed to get a rope to him, after 4 attempts and winch him on board his own boat, but damaged his outriggers getting too close to the overturned boat.

Attachments

·
45.63N 122.67W
50 Posts
I've been wondering, with the GPS position of the impact, factoring wind and current, would it be possible to locate and ID the owner of the wayward container and recover damages?

·
Registered
401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I imagine that the container would be well below the surface to only take the bulb off the bottom of the keel. He was also only guessing from the sound of the impact that it could have been a container as he was in the cabin at the time.

·
Registered
401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Vincent Riou on PRB that had picked up Jean Le Cam has just reported he's been dismasted due to the damage to the outrigger and they're drifting. Both sailors are safe on board.

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
I've often wondered how those skinny-lead bulb keels would hold up should it hit a hard spot at speed. Guess the photo provides an answer.

If you have to hit something hard in the middle of an ocean, nothing beats steel!! ;)

·
Registered
401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
They have canting keels and a 4.5m draft. The canting keel is supposed to aid in righting the boat should it capsize by moving the weight to one side and using the momentum of the skipper to bring the boat back up. Derek Hadfield on Spirit of Canada had to do and actual rollover and bring the boat back up to abide by the race rules. I'm assuming without the bulb, Jean Le Cam could not right his boat.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts