SailNet Community banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last year, as some of you may remember, I consulted this board, about various sailboats that I was looking at. I had planned a long retirement cruise that would have started on November 1, 2007. The group was very helpful, and I felt that you all deserved an update.

When you last heard from me, I was about to buy a Mason 44 that was located up in northern Wisconsin. Unfortunately, I had to back out of that purchase due to my wife’s unexpectedly severe spinal surgery. It has now been six months, and she still has a long way to go to a full recovery.

But, I haven’t given up my dream to go cruising – I’ve just changed the plan. Yesterday I signed a purchase agreement for a home located one house off the Intercoastal Waterway in Ft. Lauderdale. The property has 80 feet on the water, a swimming pool that will speed my wife’s recovery, and a dock that will accommodate up to a 50 foot boat. I have just begun shopping for boats again, but (drum roll) I’ve decided to buy a power boat. (Please don’t hate me.)

Now that my residence will be Fort Lauderdale, I want to be able to take advantage of the fishing in the Gulf Stream, and faster crossings to the Bahamas. I’ve also decided that, at my age, the rigors of sailing and exposure to sun and wind are too much for me. My wife, who is very sensitive to the sun, just wouldn’t be happy on a sailboat.

As Paul Harvey says, so now you know the whole truth!

Having had three sailboats in my life I know little about power boats. (I did operate my father’s twin screw Owens 29 way back when.) I’m now looking at fast trawlers in the 34 to 40 foot range. I know this is a sail forum, so if anyone can direct me to a similar site where I can get advice on power boats, I’d appreciate it.

Thanks for all the help. You’re a great group of people, and I’ve learned and laughed a lot because of you. If you do see me out there, please don’t call me a stink pot, because I’ll always be a sailor at heart.

·
Registered
4,507 Posts
I also had planned to begin cruising starting November 2007. My bypass failed and well it looks like 2008 now. Great news about the house, as we all need a place to dock, now and then ....... My best to your wife and I hope for a full recovery.

·
Registered
5,680 Posts
Thanks for all the help. You’re a great group of people, and I’ve learned and laughed a lot because of you. If you do see me out there, please don’t call me a stink pot, because I’ll always be a sailor at heart.
FritzN,

I think it was John Lennon who said something like "Life is what happens when you make plans." Kudos to you for adapting to some new and unwelcome changed circumstances. Congratulations on your new home purchase, and no shame in looking at power boats either. Maybe to keep your karma going, you could yield the right of way to some of us tired old wet sailors when we pass in the channel?

P.S. Check out "Passagemaker" magazine as a resource for trawlers, they may have a website/bulletin board too. When you mentioned fast trawlers in the 34-40 foot range, I of course immediately thought of the Pacific Seacraft Fast Trawler 37. It's a wonderful Bruce King design, well built, worth investigating if it's within your budget. Here's an example:http://www.yachtworld.com/core/listing/boatFullDetails.jsp?boat_id=1075822&ybw=&units=Feet&currency=USD&access=Public&listing_id=1852&url=

·
Registered
2,527 Posts
He's going to buy a ..... a.......:eek: uh I can't say it. I hope your wife recovers soon and all is well. Some times life does not go along with your plans so we make the best of it. Sounds like you have done a good job even if you are buying a....... a.......:eek: I still can't say it.

Good luck:)

·
Telstar 28
43,289 Posts
I wish your wife a speedy recovery.

A multihull sailboat might make as much sense as a power boat. :) Given the size of the dock you have, and a decent size catamaran would probably be more stable than most powerboats, with better amenities and preclude you from succumbing to the forces of evil. :)

·
Wandering Aimlessly
22,037 Posts
Best of luck to you Fritz and hope your wife recovers speedily and fully.

Dawg - there's not a lot of room in most of those channels around Ft Lauderdale. A Gemini might fit, but I doubt much in the size they are looking for would.

·
Registered
2,527 Posts
I wish your wife a speedy recovery.

A multihull sailboat might make as much sense as a power boat. :) Given the size of the dock you have, and a decent size catamaran would probably be more stable than most powerboats, with better amenities and preclude you from succumbing to the forces of evil. :)
Yea, a boat with training wheels would be better then a.... a..... oh never mind.

·
Registered
87,723 Posts
Fritz - You have a great opportunity, should you be in the area at the time, to look at some new "fast trawlers" at the Miami Boat Show. It's Feb 14-18, and though we are only in the Strictly Sail portion at Miamarina, I hear the trawler and motoryacht basins are pretty big and have a wide range of craft. Good luck!

·
Telstar 28
43,289 Posts
That'd be an excellent compromise... if you decide not to get a small catamaran. :)
Hey, at least buy a tender capable of being sailed!

Good luck with your wife and your plans.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts