SailNet Community banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
712 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

Still trying to decide on a radar system for the boat. Sales on combo units are everywhere. One that is coming up is the Garmin GMR18 that includes the GPSMAP 741xs. It is a touch screen. My Ipad is touch screen... and from time to time, it gets cussed. Just wondering who has touch screen plotters and how do you like them? (PS the radar still on my scope is the Furuno 1715).

Dave

·
Broad Reachin'
2,038 Posts
In a perfect world, I'd like the iPad's graphic user interface and simplicity with one or two knobs/buttons/thumb sticks for input for use at the helm. Touchscreens are fine when the work, but when you add water/glare/cold fingers things can get iffy.

Having said that, we still mostly use the iPad for our plotter. But I occasionally cuss at it too, just like you.

·
Registered
2,507 Posts
Hey,

I have the Garmin 741S (previous model to the 741xs). It has a touchscreen and IMHO works just fine. I have sailed in rain, sun, night, etc. and it works fine. I don't sail in weather that is cold enough for gloves so I can't comment on that.

The User Interface is OK, simple enough to figure out and use.

Good luck,
Barry

·
Registered
2,432 Posts
New to this chart plotter business as I'm still old school...with that being said...with limited experince as I just recently went high tech with a Garmin CP and an iPad as a back up(as my iPad does communicate to the CP)..at first I thought touch screens is the 'Cats Meow'..but from the limited experince I found wearing gloves in cold wet conditions...button configuration is the way to go...just my very limited 2 1/2 cents worth.

·
Super Moderator
6,819 Posts
For a touch screen the 741XS is a great unit. If however you get into snotty weather, as I did on a delivery this fall, you may be cussing the touch only... I really do wish Garmin had a knob/button 7" plotter. That said 98% of the time, for most boaters the touch will be okay...

I still use buttons and don't have a touch screen except for my phone and iPad, course they don't get doused like my plotter does...

·
Master Mariner
9,225 Posts
As mentioned above, the touch screen can be a bit dicey in crappy weather. Another point to consider is how much damage salt might do to a touch screen over time. It sure would be a pain to have to dry the screen AND your finger every time you want to touch the screen.
Touch screens work great on motor boats with enclosed pilothouses and stabilizers.

·
Courtney the Dancer
3,971 Posts
I have a touch screen in the fishing boat (Garmin 5200 series), had it for about a year now and for the most part really like it. It's inside out of the weather, but my hands are frequently wet and it's no problem at all using it. Insulated gloves seem to work but the rubber coated ones you'll have to take off. I'm out in all kinds of weather (winter fishing PNW) and I don't find it any more challenging to operate than the other plotters I have with buttons, in fact, probably a bit easier.

·
Remember you're a womble
2,328 Posts
Touch is fine if you only sail in smooth sea and fair weather. Given your (and my) location, you wouldn't be sailing much if you always waited for those conditions. I'm a button fan, you can get close enough in gloves while being knocked about, impossible with a touchscreen.

·
Registered
Tartan 37
5,436 Posts
Knobs, buttons etc...fwiw, I've only owned one. Been on a friends boat with a touch screen, as someone said you can only do the one thing at a time.

My $.02 which when it come to plotters it is worth that or less ;)

·
Bill SV Rangatira
421 Posts
Touch is fine if you only sail in smooth sea and fair weather. Given your (and my) location, you wouldn't be sailing much if you always waited for those conditions. I'm a button fan, you can get close enough in gloves while being knocked about, impossible with a touchscreen.
+1 paul
have tried both and my personal fav is joystick and buttons

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
I have an E7 plotter. I like having the joystick. When there is too much salt on the touchscreen it does not respond. It is also hard to use a touch screen when the boat is bouncing around or you have gloves with fingers.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Interesting thread. I have the Garmin 541s which is not a touch screen. Because I use an iPhone and iPad daily, I am always tapping the screen of my chart plotter. A couple of things to consider. First, for many reasons, knobs and buttons are disappearing. Get used to it. Think about how many new cars have window cranks. Next, cold weather. Touch-screens work on capacitance not pressure. Costco sells light gloves with special pads on the thumb and index finger specifically for use with touch screens. You could also consider using a stylus.

As another thought; we all know the importance of covering our instruments. I wonder if touch screens are more susceptible to UV damage.

·
Remember you're a womble
2,328 Posts
An electric car window is also operated by a button, which you can easily feel without having to look at it, I don't see many vehicles where opening a window involves staring at a screen and trying to prod a particular spot as you bounce down the road.
I can't even begin imaging using a stylus on a boat in any sort of weather, i.e actually underway.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts