SailNet Community banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm not sure what direction to go from here being new to diesel marine engines. Your advice is very much appreciated.

Ok, this is a Yanmar SB12 that locked-up about four years ago from two owners ago (don't know details). I pulled the head to check-out the piston and cylinder (first photo) and they don't look so great. I went with the Coca Cola method and let that sit for a day and tried to manually crank and even with my body weight on the bar, she wouldn't break free. Then tried wood on the piston and tapped with a hammer - nothing. I drained the oil to see if I could learn anything from that and it looked pretty clean and was definitely free of water.

I don't want to give up on the engine because I enjoy learning and have the time but want to know if I should start parting it out.

In the second picture, I cannot get "1" to spin or break free either. Any suggestions? What is the purpose of "2?"

Thanks everyone.

Attachments

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I pulled the face portion off and now I'm confused what I should do to isolate bent rod vs seized piston (no luck with freeing using Mystery Oil).

What do you think I should do next?

Attachments

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.