SailNet Community banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I have a 35 foot Hughes sloop with a propane locker that I have refurbished with a proper set up that includes two aluminum propane tanks. I fitted a drain hole above the water line at the lowest point of the locker to ensure any propane leaks will go overboard. However, there has been the occasional splashing of sea water that can get through the hole, and I believe has allowed some electrolysis to create some minor erosion in the locker. Would putting a zinc into the locker be an effective way to prevent this in the future? I'm always careful about what I'm doing with propane on the boat so just wanting to make sure I'm doing something counterproductive. Thanks in advance for any advice.

·
Registered
3,006 Posts
first is not electrolysis. that is a different process of extracting o2 and hydrogen gas from salt water using electricity. it is called galvanic corrosion when two dissimilar metals corrode in an electrolyte ( salt water ). the anode will only help if the metal is under water and will do nothing for the surface corrosion caused by the exposure to salt water and air. I would never recommend using aluminum tanks near salt water. the composite tanks fair way better and do not corrode. I would place the tank on a grid to keep them out of the water and coat the tank with an epoxy paint to help prevent any corrosion.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts