SailNet Community banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all need recommendations for freeing up zippers on boat cushions which are stuck due to corrosion/ or salt

The teeth are plastic and the slide is metal

So far have tried WD 40 and Innox without luck.

Do I just try brute force and ignorance

Cheers col - Sydney Aust

·
Registered
23,685 Posts
Is the metal part obviously corroded? If so, figuring out how to keep it soaking in white vinegar (estimate an hour, but longer may be necessary) will dissolve the corrosion. Of course, I'm assuming you plan to wash these. :)

·
Registered
7,220 Posts
Put in hot soapy water fresh water (dawn and a slight bit of vinegar) and leave it for a day. Rinse out and then wiggle it side to side by grabbing it as close as you can to slide (not the slide itself). Take a dental tool to clean out crap suck under the slide. Then soak in soupy fresh water again and rinse. After cleaning out salt/dirt/rust under the slide grab slide with pliers (not the zipper pull) and move back and forth along its run.
Once it’s clear of stuck spot clean spot where it got stuck. Then lubricate entire zipper. There are several products that come in a dispenser that looks like a lipstick. Basically a wax you rub over both sides of the zipper and prevents this from occurring in the future. Some just take a candle to do that but I like the purpose designed products better as it’s easier and lasts better. Just like your through hulls your zippers need to be exercised.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts