SailNet Community banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
See the attached picture. There are two small zippered pockets on the foot of the mail sail. What are these used for? We were making WAGs including hiding keys, small sail hardware, sunscreen holders...

Attachments

·
Registered
1,547 Posts
may have been a repurposed sail...the pocket is for a "dutchman" system and the sails had pockets similar to that for the lines to go up/in and out of. The excess/adjustment line stows in the pocket, the tab is used to attach the lower points for the dutchman.

·
Registered
3,373 Posts
A drink holder while you're reefing?

How is your mainsail reefed? I see a reefing hook on the gooseneck what about the leech?
I don't see blocks or cleats on the boom...Here's my WAG....Could these pockets be used to stow the tack reefing lines of the reefed sail. ? Reef 1 and reef 2? No clue really.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
You are correct about the reefing. The hooks for each reef attached to the goose neck. There are out hauls for each reef that are directed through the end of the boom. There are reef tie grommets along the foot. It sounds very good that these might be to store the reefing ties so you don't need to walk up on deck with a handful of ties. Makes good sense.

I do like the "cup holder while reefing" idea.

·
Registered
570 Posts
KD3 is correct. Those are for a Dutchman mainsail control. You probably have a series of grommets above the pockets where the monofilament line would run to a system attached to the your topping lift line. It is a great flaking system for some (I love it) and some people hate it.

·
Registered
570 Posts
If that picture is of your boat I don't see any lazy jacks or stack pack on it. The Dutchmen certainly is a better system than having all that sail on deck when you drop it.

·
Singlehander by Default
161 Posts
I wish I had a couple of those on my main--I'd keep some spare wind in there for emergencies!:laugher

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Yes, there are grommets with vertical slots all the way up from each of the pockets. That makes great sense. I think I will try to resurrect that system. I am an embarrassment to the sailing community when flaking the main at this point in my sailing endeavor...actually, I'd say my flaking skills are more entertainment for the sailing community.

At the same time we were pondering the pockets, we were pondering about the vertical slotted grommets. We were trying to map those grommets into the reefing system. Now it makes a lot more sense.

I still plan to use the pockets for cup holders while reefing, and to store spare wind for light wind days.. :)

·
Registered
570 Posts
Dutchman is a brand and a system. The only things that you would need to make it work are the cars for the topping lift system and the monofilament to run to them. I am sure that you could get the cars from Dutchmen, but buy the monofilament from a hardware store for a lot less $$. It is just heavy monofilament.

I have sailed many boats with no sail control systems when dropping. I have never seen anyone drop and flake while looking good without some sort of system. Once you get it all adjusted (takes a little time) all you do is snug the topping lift cars so the monofilament is vertical and drop the sail. Then just flake if by pulling from the back of the sail.

Good Luck!

·
Registered
3,373 Posts
Funny.. I've been considering this system for awhile. I even switched out my wire topping lift to line in case I ever pull the trigger. I've never noticed those pockets.

But here they are:

·
Registered
2,089 Posts
The fishing line is 400# test (at least for my 34 footer). Lighter weight line, although cheaper, is too stretchy and the sail won’t stay on top of the boom. UV degrades it over time and it will occasionally break. So I bought a reel of it at a saltwater fishing store (I now have a lifetime’s supply!) The control line is quarter inch Dacron and you can use a single block and cam cleat at the Boom end. The sliding cars are Marlon, and perhaps Dutchman will sell you replacement cars. I love the Dutchman on my boat.

·
Registered
4,990 Posts
My new-to-me Cal 33 came with a Dutchman System. Really love it. When I replaced my main last year, I had the system put on the new sail. Basically all you need is a new or modified topping lift and the monofilament lines. Here's a link to the manufacturer's website.

Dutchmar

1 - 12 of 12 Posts