SailNet Community banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Singlehander by Default
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Need to put a bottom coating on Wind Angel prior to taking her to a premanent slip. She has never had anything done below the waterline and I have been researching options. Has anyone had experience with Zyrex bottom coating?

Interseted in all opinions (how's that for bravery on SN?)-good, bad, fair-to middlin.

·
I don't discuss my member
2,643 Posts
FYI- this product is not anti fouling paint. It will not repel fouling growth. It's marketed as a foul-release type of coating but is unproven, IMHO. My advice- give it a wide berth. You don't want to be the ginuea pig on something like this. That's my $.02.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Hi I just hauled my catamaran and am having a bottom job done. I am in the gulf coast where a monthly cleaning is mandatory or you have barnacles. I opted for a tried and true Interlux antifouling paint. I also work out of the country and Panama has contaminated water with lots of fouling problems. They use Interlux with 4 lbs of cayenne pepper per 5 gallons of paint. I opted for that option and will let you know how it works I have seen this used in many countries outside the US and the older hand at the boat yard told me all of the commercial barges add it to their paint. Hope this helps. Also, you need the paint product that works in the area where you keep your boat. Not all paint is the best for every area, or at least that is my 2 cents.. Talk to the commercial fishermen or barge companies in your area. They have the experience
Rochelle

1 - 3 of 3 Posts