SailNet Community banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
830 Posts
Reaction score
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I am in proceeds of gathering info and parts to install an anchor/bow roller for my Watkins 27. It more than likely comes in at 8000 gross, 3'-8"draftt and #@3500 ballast. I'd like to install a bow/anchor bridle *edit* as a snubber, to attach to a proposed bow hook. My problem is how to atttach the briidle to the 1/2" rode? Chain would be NP, as there's hooks aplenty forthat; but I don't want to switch to all chain..

While I.could probably come up with a. knot of some type, I'd sooner have a bit of. .hardware to simply clip on to.. Perhaps something similar to a "figure 8" ascender? It would. need to be removabble/moveable to accomodate diffferent scope ; but have a feature to lock it down .

Any and all input welcome, thanks,
Paul

· Registered
830 Posts
Reaction score
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Jon;

Bow plate has rail around to match toe rail. Chocks are cast into this rail, as is the tack for jib. Centered not far astern is the 8" cleat. *IF* I need/want to cleat off something else; like my 85% jib pendant (?), there's not much purchase left on the cleat.. Anything else is a goner! The gen'l layout of the exist. hardware is a bit cramped
I'd like to be able to clip bridle off tothe bow to keep the tension off the roller assb'y sticking out fromthe bow plate. I plan to add a few more cleats and possibly a mooring bit. Still working out details and placement.

"snubber" was simply to clarify.Perhaps not the right application for a snubber; but cansingle line to rode be a bridle?

I am familiar with several hitches and*could* use. them in a pinch ; but I'd sooner use a snap hook of some sort to speed thinhs alongg;) Would also mak. sstowing the rode end of bridle a tad easier..

Thanks all

· Registered
830 Posts
Reaction score
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
OK...let me try this approach... the"why" annd "what"
This is all in a effort to be able to deploy or retrieve the anchor while solo and or from the cockpit
I'll need a roller assb'y approximately 22 inches long. Because of the raised deck design and angle of the Danforth flukes when stowed; nearly/at least 14 inches (assumed by dwg it out) will need to protrude unsupported. Having hauled the anchor in some chop, I can atttest to a certain amount of tension on the rode. IMHO, that amount and type of pull on an anchor roller protruding that far out from support on the bow might be problematic.
I'd like to avoid disastrously folding the extension or to remove the need for an expensive and convoluted platform to support and strengthen the roller. Seems to me that having the rode run out and over the roller places more than comfortable forces on said hardware. Simply clipping off to the bow "eye" once scope is reached directs that tension elswhere; leaving slack from the attachment point, over the roller and back to the hawsepipe.
Let me try a scenario.
Anchor secured to rode, lying at rest on roller assb'y. Rode run back on deck, along cabin top to a handy spot; loosely looped over some bit deck hardware, then run fwd again to cleat, To add one more kink to the plan, a single block could be used at the turning point, with a retrieval line to be attached at/in the cockpit. Release line from loop-point.Anchor drops..Rode pays out from loose lay on deck. Go fwd and clip off to bow eye.. Set anchor. Retrieval could be as simple as the old ""Yo, heave Ho" or utilizing tthen additional block and line.. . Un-clip bridle.. Pull fwd to relieve tension on line.as usual. While going fwd, pull in retreival line/block untill anchornnrides up and onto the roller.. Secure anchor..

Having written all that out; I've answered a few kinks that I missed.. I'd need a folding roller and could utilize a sliding ring on the free end of the bridle, with a locking "stopper" fastened to the rode .

Did I miss anything? ;)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.