SailNet Community banner

141 - 148 of 148 Posts

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #141
Excellent! You will love your Midship, they are grand little beasts and are great fun to travel with.

Actually out on a trip right now along with Stagg, anchored out at Kiptopeke riding out some foul weather in the harbor made out of scuttled WW2 era concrete ships. We are getting bounced around pretty good and out of an abundance of caution are standing anchor watches tonight hence why I finally got online and saw your posts.

Hopefully we will get some pics uploaded once we get to a spot with a little better data coverage.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #142 (Edited)

On the water again for the year. Here at anchor in Cornfield Harbor by Point Lookout in the Chesapeake Bay.

Spring lined to the boat ramp pier at Kiptopeke for a quick stop.

Right up to the beach at Point Lookout State Park

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #144
My money says it will be fuel delivery issues, more likely than not, just air in the lines.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hello! This is an amazing trove of information! I'm the semi-recent owner of a PD 26, named Slowpoke, living in Sitka, AK. I purchased my boat as a liveaboard, and somewhat comfortably lived on the boat for about a year and a half. I found that now that I've moved back onto land, it's easier for me to actually get around to doing some of the many projects I've put off (these projects tend to make mess, which isn't as fun, when you're sleeping on the boat every night).

Here's me and my buddies setting sail from the tiny 100-person village of Tenakee Springs where I bought the boat. Our three-day journey from Tenakee is it's own story, involving the engine crapping out and us getting some very timely help from a bear hunting charter.

I have a couple of questions, that I'm hoping someone here can help me out with. I'm fairly new to boats in general, so apologies in advance if I'm asking ignorant questions!

Zincs
I recently put Slowpoke on our tidal grid, and put on a fresh coat of bottom paint, after scraping off a colossal number of mussels. I replaced the prop shaft zinc, as well as a zinc on the keel. I saw no evidence of a prop nut zinc, and I couldn't find any info online. Does anyone know if I need one there?

Here's Slowpoke on the grid, pre-scraping. It was nice to see the bottom!

If anyone has questions about using a tidal grid I'm happy to help. The process wasn't super difficult, but there were some things I wish I'd known a little better before my first go at it! Although, my understanding is they don't really exist anymore outside of the PNW...

Forward Cabin Hatch Window

I've got a persistent leak from the window on the forward hatch of the forward cabin. Has anyone else experienced this or have any ideas on how to fix it, short of replacing the whole thing?

Here's the window from the outside:

And here's the window from the inside, where you can see how the water pools up in the window. There are drain holes on the fitting, but the window rests below them, so water always fills up here with the copious amount of rain we get here in SE AK.

Reseating Stanchions
I've got some water seeping in at a couple of stanchion bases, where it looks like old gaskets have worn out. See this picture for an example:

The research I've done on this project has led me down endless rabbit holes of products to use - LifeSeal, Butyl Tape, Epoxy, Form-a-Seal Gaskets, etc. and I'm a little confused about all these different marine sealants... I'm wondering if anyone has done this before and could offer advice?

Thru-Deck Interior Caps
I'm also getting some leakage through these rusted out caps where the deck rails bolt through. I'm not sure how to get at these, since there are wood plugs covering the top of the bolt up on deck. I'm also not sure what to call these little caps, and I'd like to find more and replace almost all of mine, since most are rusty and unsightly, or just missing and unsightly:

I'm sure other questions will come up as I go along, and this thread has already answered some of my questions!

Thanks in advance!
Two last glory shots from our last trip out on the Sitka Sound:

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #146
Great pics! I remember seeing Slow Poke for sale up there, looks like she went to a good home.

I totally understand it being easier to work on while not living aboard. Not a lot of excess space on these guys so shuffling stuff from place to place to get work done gets exponentially harder when you start adding more of your stuff into the mix.

I had the same style front window in my Parker Dawson and it was also a persistent scourge that was determined to dribble on my bed. I replaced mine, as well as the far aft port, with Beckson fixed deadlights (a portlight that does not open) and had not had a leak since. I did not find the opening port to be particularly useful since if I wanted air flow I would just open the hatch anyhow and with the fixed deadlight I can still see out which is occasionally handy when it’s yucky out and I end up using the front cabin as a pilot house and just letting Otto do the steering while I keep and eye on everything from the comfort of the cabin toasting my feet with the forced air heater.

Previous owner added a second window to the outside of the hatch in an effort to keep the water at bay. Clever looking solution that in practice did not actually work all that well.

Beckson fixed deadlight (this one in the ft cabin)

I have a prop shaft zinc and an engine zinc but no prop zinc. I am sure one could be added but I have not had an issue with mine and given that it’s the original prop, it seems to be doing ok so I am not going to go crazy trying to solve an issue that’s not that pressing.

Leaks from the stanchions and pushpit have been a bit of a nuisance. I can usually get things under control by pulling everything, cleaning up and rebedding with Butyl tape but in time they always creep back to leaking. I am looking for a better solution this season so stay tuned and we’ll see if we can engineer a solution that puts that one to bed for good.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #147
Missed the question on the wood railings.

The little plugs you just remove. Drill a little hole in the middle (try not to accidentally drill into the screw underneath) then use a wood screw to grab the plug and pull it out. That gives you access to the screw from the top. On the bottom side, just pry off the covers which will then give you access to the nuts on the bottom side. I usually use a nut driver on the bottom and try to just hold the screw still up top. I the caps on mine with white plastic caps from the hardware store instead of the rust prone metal ones. In several places, I added an additional eye bolt to the bottom which I then use to attach bungees that then do handy dandy things like hold my paper towel rolls and such.

See the paper towel rolls as well as other hangy bits and bobs up top.

141 - 148 of 148 Posts